Monday, January 11, 2010

EI

Its 9pm and I finally have some time to sit down at my computer and blog. Finally!

Today was hectic but hectic in an insanely productive sort of way. Stressful but necessary successful stress.

Spoke too soon... an email just came in... brb

After racing to Guelph for 9:45am this morning I stopped in at the employment insurance place to drop off my ROE. Yeah, I'm laid off, by no fault of my own. I need to start collecting EI. So, after filling out my application online on Friday (a super tedious job when my hours fluctuated so much over the past 6 months) I stepped into the office to complete the final part. I was greeted by a super nice security guard at the front and asked what I was looking to do. I showed him my ROE and he directed me to the one line in the whole place... the same line that had about 15 people ahead of me. I waited and waited. Thank god for iphones and the endless supply of entertainment though I feel like a bit of an asshole being the one anti-social person in the room screwing around on it but meh. Finally a lady came out from the back and made her way down the line asking everyone what they were their for. I assume this is normal practice as I think the instinct is to stand in that line regardless of what your looking to do, but judging by the various groups of people doing various different things in various parts of the room, I'm guessing it is not always the right choice. She approached me and I flashed her my ROE. She immediately jumped me a head of the line. YES!!! I hate waiting. She took my ROE, made a copy and handed it back stating that I will get something in the mail in 2 to 3 weeks. Oh geez...

The point of this is that to apply for EI I had almost no human contact and since this is the first time I've ever applied I have no idea if I have done it right. Do I really need ROE's from the last 2 years? What if I was a student at the time? Obviously my weekly wage back then was much different then it is today (or last week when I had a job). What if what I get mailed to me in 2 to 3 weeks is a letter saying that I have to drop something else off? Then I will have to go back down to the EI office, stand in that line, provide a original to photocopy and.. with any luck... get to wait another 2 to 3 weeks. Errrr.... thats frustrating.

But... Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. That must be annoying for suree!!!They can make that stuff be a long irritating process sometimes...
    Hope it works out though :)

    ReplyDelete