Saturday, January 16, 2010

Storage galore! a hoarders new bff

Why are there so many storage places opening up around town? I was driving down Victoria street today and just before you hit the Breslau train bridge they are putting in a new, giant storage facility on the right hand side. This is going in just a few years after they put a huge facility right across the street.

Maybe I missed the memo but why do we need so many storage units?

I discussed with Jan what it could be that people need to store. I mean, it seems to me if you have too much stuff to fit in your house then maybe you should just junk it all and forget the storage unit. A few exceptions, if you are without a home and need a place to keep all your crap, cars, motorcylcles, skidoos other seasonal auto stuff, business stuff like landscaping equipment. What does everyone else store in there? and why do they have to be climate controlled?

When we lived in Guelph a few years ago we rented a storage unit on the outskirts of town to have band practice in. It was actually the best jam hall we ever had. It was climate controlled but only got as warm as 17 degrees inside and that was if you never, ever had to open the door (impossible as there was no washroom in there so the big bay door was often opened). It was a really cool environment though. There were other people that rented units to operate their auto mechanics garage and auto body shop. I think there was a small engine repair guy, woodworker, and of course the scrap steel collector. It was almost like a private business park with controlled keypad entry. I really liked it there and thought that for that reason storage facilities rule!!
When we moved back to Kitchener we called all the local storage places to see if we could hook up a new jam hall in town but every place we called refused and said that the units were for storage purposes only. This brings me back to my initial question; What on earth do people have that needs to be stored? What is so important that they must hang on to it and pay upwards of $200 a month for storage?

We have all seen that show Hoarders and self-righteously comment to each other that its absolutely ridiculous to have that much stuff. Are these new storage places not breeding a whole population of hoarders? I think so.

Anybody have a storage space and wanna shed some light? What do you keep in there?

2 comments:

  1. Ha!I agree with this... I dont have a storage unit... but I think it's a bit rediculous to store just random stuff for that much money!
    Agh,and I think it's a bit rediculous for the type of shows goin on tv lately..i mean really,its gotten so bad that now we have to see other peoples messy,cluttered houses??..

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, Laura, you are so right. If I want to fuzz up my self-conscious mind with the frustration of being surrounded by mounds and mounds of junk I'll let the laundry slide for a few days in my own house! I blame that show for my nail-biting habit. However, in small, perhaps 10 second clips/doses I can be put at ease that I am a very tidy and organized house keeper!

    ReplyDelete