Sunday, April 10, 2011

April 8 - Winnipeg and April 9 - Saskatoon

I'm so far behind in my blogging because I figured that since I have so many hours in the car I could write my blog in the car... NOPE! Seriously, the roads out here are so freaking bumpy you can't do anything in the van. And being that we spend about 8 hours driving a day it leaves little time for blogging.

So here it is... two in one.

Winnipeg - So amazing! We arrived a head of schedule (around 4pm) so had some time to chill before we had to head to the venue. We have some friends in Winnipeg (formerly The Crackdown, currently High Class Low Lifes). When they toured as The Crackdown a few years back we gave them a place to stay at the farm and it was an awesome week of hanging out and making some really good friends. They figured this time as we were passing through their neck of the woods they would return the favour. We arrived at Dan's place and he had chili cooking in the crockpot for us. YES! Hot meail!! He handed us a beer as we walked in. This is awesome! He told us we have just a few minutes before we head to the university for a radio interview they had set up. COOL!! We did our interview first and then he ande Scott did an acoustic live performance of some High Class Low Lifes songs.

We got back to Dan's and ate chili... that was SOOO delicious! We have been talking about it ever since then. Thanks again for the delicious hot mail you guys!

The show was at an all ages venue called Death Trap. It was a dingy basement but was totally awesome. We played with Animalistics and High Class Low Lifes... more great bands you should check out if you have a chance. Although it was a no alcohol event everyone at the venue brought some beer and were drinking. It was hilarious listening to Dan (HCLL) sarcastically thanking the audience, his friends, for obeying the no alcohol rule... while everyone in the crowd was enjoying a beer. We went back to Rob's (drummer from HCLL) place to sleep... in a bed! Woo Hoo! They also got us some pizza and more beer. These guys are truly amazing and I miss them already. Hopefully we can pop by and visit with them on our way back through Winnipeg. Before we left Winnipeg we also visited with my sister, Catharine, and her family. They made us some breakfast and coffee and we had a nice visit for about an hour. What an awesome time was had in Winnipeg.....

10 hours drive later....... *sigh*

We arrive in Saskatoon.... oh wait... on the drive we saw tons and tons of live deer which was exciting however we also passed what looked like the deer massacre of 2011 on highway 1 in Manitoba. We figure they were hit in the winter and as the snow melts it reveals more and more deer carcasses. EWWWW!!! But the live deer were awesome!

Saskatoon... once again we arrive at the venue and its not open. We walk around and blow off some steam... tension can arise when there are 4 people in close quarters for 10+ hours. We need a little alone time sometimes. Also, all the batteries for all my gadgets are dead at this point. I hate that! Can't go on my computer, cell phone, play DS, nothing....ERRR!! I was ultimately looking for an internet cafe or something but the area of Saskatoon that we were in was like a ghost town... I had my doubts about the show. Finally we found a parking lot with block heater plugs so my intention was to hang out there and charge every one of my gadgets and then head to the venue since it still wasn't open but just as we were heading to the plug we saw the venue was open. Finally! I got to charge my laptop in the venue... I was a little less of a bitch when I was able to do that. We played at a venue called Walkers. It was a really cool basement venue that reminded me of volcano crossed with Phils. It was the perfect punk venue. We played with 4 other bands - Off the Rails, Chimp Change, The Chuds and Later Day Saints. All very awesome! We were offered a place to stay with Lacey, Blake, their little girl and two pit bulls. Much to my liking Lacey is a clothing designer and had all the tools I needed to fix up the hole that ripped in the crotch of my pants the other day. Phew! Thanks again Lacey. We also got a really great original painting of Duane Peters that Blake did. Those two were really awesome! Its great to meet people like that on the road.

The next morning we made a quick stop at the Superstore and went on our way to Edmonton. Now I'm sitting in the DV8 lounge waiting for the show to start and thankfully they have WI-FI!!!

1 comment:

  1. Everything sounds really good! I'm remembering our drive west and how long it seemed. You guys, however, have a purpose to stop along the way.

    It sounds as if you're all having an awesome trip. Your blogs are great, Ang, and I'm sorry when I read to the end of one; that is, if you wrote five pages, I'd love it. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete