Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Rotten tour 2011 - Review

Well the tour is over now and I'm glad and sad about it coming to an end.

I've compiled a list of all the things I love about tour that I can compare to the list of things that I don't love about tour. Lets see how it measures up.

I love...
Traveling and seeing new places

I don't love...
Traveling but not getting the chance to really experience the places we go because we are on a strict tour schedule.

I love...
Living like a gypsy

I don't love...
Living like a gypsy with 4 people in a van that can't comfortably sleep 4 people. Also, wondering when the next shower/clothes washing machine opportunity is going to arise.

I love...
Spending lots of time with the boys in my band and living as a single unit

I don't love...
Spending too much time with the boys in my band so that everyone can't stand each other. Living in a 12' x 6' box together for 3 weeks is pretty trying sometimes. I do believe though with more touring we will learn how to cope better with those frustrations.

I love...
Meeting new people... and there is nothing I don't love about that :) I also love seeing old friends which I did plenty of this tour.

I love...
Playing shows everyday

I don't love...
How my body feels now after playing shows everyday. Ever see that movie The Rocker where the drummer is practically disabled when he returns from tour just from playing... yeah, that's how I feel right now...ouch! I have bruises I don't remember getting and yesterday my bass drum attacked my knee and now I walk with a limp... WTF?

I love...
To have a minimal amount of things. Its really easy to get dressed in the morning when I have very little choice or when I wake up and I'm still dressed. That's super handy.

I don't love...
To have everyone's minimal amount of things in our 12'x6' living area. Doesn't seem so minimal in this space.

I love...
To hang out and party

I don't love...
Hanging out and partying every day. I just can't do it anymore.

I love...
Sleeping and...

I don't love...
That on tour you don't get to sleep.

I love...
That our van, with over 800 000kms on it did the whole tour beautifully

I don't love....
That after our first west tour show in Thunder Bay we realized that the only way we could start the van is by popping the hood and yanking on the positive terminal battery cable but...

I love...
That we didn't have to worry about the van being stolen because the car thief wouldn't be able to start it.

I love...
Sleeping in the van

I don't love...
Sleeping in the van when its below zero outside. Its one of those cases where you sleep fully clothed with a hoodie, toque and as many blankets you can pile on. Then you still wake up with a cold nose. Also, with all 4 of us in the van its too crowded to get a good sleep. I didn't realize until this tour how important it was to be able to stretch my legs out so they are straight. Sleeping cramped up in the van really hurt my knees... and this was before my bass drum attacked my knee.

I love...
Seeing the wildlife on the side of the highway like deer and foxes.

I don't love...
That I didn't see a freaking moose... @$%*@^#*!!!

I love...
Pizza normally but

I don't love...
Pizza everyday. However the spinach and feta pizza we got in Regina was the most delicious pizza I have ever had.

All in all the tour was amazing and an experience I will cherish for the rest of my life. There were good times and bad times. The shows were great. The people were awesome and I look very forward to our next tour!!!

Oh and....

I don't love....
Driving a million hours at a time and paying outrageous amounts of money for gas. That sucks.

1 comment:

  1. What a great round-up of your tour! I am soo glad that you guys got to go on tour! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete